We talk about the woefully underreported story of Daniel Hale, who leaked The Drone Papers to the press, and was arrested under the Espionage Act in May 2019. We go on to discuss whistleblowers, dissent, the persecution of Eugene Debs, US drone programs, and more.
CORRECTION: The most successful third party run in US history was the Progressive Party in 1912, not Eugene Debs’ Socialist Party run during that same year.
- JNM’s Recommendation: You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine & Intimations by Alexandra Kleeman (@AlexKleeman)
- JD’s Recommendation: The Host
Further Reading, Viewing, Listening
- Ex-NSA official charged with leaking classified drone documents
- Former intelligence analyst charged
- Government Moves to Block Alleged Drone Whistleblower’s Defense
- VIDEO: Trump Steps up War on Whistleblowers
- Daniel Hale arrested for being the source of The Drone Papers
- Joe Biden told countries there’d be ‘consequences’
- Joe Biden’s Love Affair With the CIA
- All the President’s Whistleblowers
- The Espionage Act’s Troubling Origins
- When America’s Most Prominent Socialist Was Jailed for Speaking Out Against World War I