Danny, Joe and Matt from the Boomer Death Squad (@boomerdeathpod) podcast join us to discuss the largely unknown history behind the Monopoly board game. At the turn of the century, a leftist political activist, resolute feminist, and fascinating renaissance women named Lizzy Magie, created a game to educate others about the evils of accumulated wealth. Follow the winding causal chain of events that led to the complete theft and inversion of her vision and, in true monopolistic form, basically erased her and her original creation from history, absorbing it all and shitting out these cardboard widgets called “Monopoly” that seize upon the worst of human instincts and continue to turn profits for the Hasbro and Parker Brothers cartels. Also, did you know the Nazis made board games?
- JNM’s Recommendation: Network
- JD’s Recommendation: For the Queen
- Danny’s Recommendation: The Brothers Karamazovby Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Matt’s Recommendation: The Cure – B-Sides from The Head on the Door (i.e. Join the Dots: B-Sides & Rarities 1978–2001)
- Joe’s Recommendations: 1) The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein 2) The Settlers of Catan 3) Naruto
Further Reading, Viewing, Listening
- The Monopolists by Mary Pilon
- Excerpt: The secret history of Monopoly: the capitalist board game’s leftwing origins
- Lizzie Magie, Ralph Anspach, and The Monopolists
- VIDEO: The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury, and the Scandal Behind | Mary Pilon | Talks at Google
- Every show-related link is corralled and available here.
- Heat Death of the Universe – @heatdeathpod
- JD Newland – @jdnewland
- Joshua Nomen-Mutatio – @ImbalancingAct
- Please send all Letters of Derision, Indifference, Inquiry, Mild Elation, et cetera to: firstname.lastname@example.org