We observed the sacred Fourth of July, about 11,000 miles away from the Statue of Liberty, with libations and our fourth movie franchise marathon. We watched the entire original Planet of the Apes franchise (1968-1973) on a rainy afternoon that turned into the crack of dawn. It got increasingly uninhibited and loose and very much in the spirit of 1776, Year of Our Simian Lord-Doctor Zaius.
Note: Only the four of the five commentaries survived due to an unfortunate SD card deletion of the fourth film in the franchise, the pretty excellent prison-based Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
Further Reading, Viewing, Listening
- Every Planet of the Apes movie has a pointed message about life in 2020
- Continuity of the Planet of the Apes! Explaining the Timeline
- Every ‘Planet of the Apes’ Ending Ranked According to Its Soul-Crushing Bleakness
- Return to the Planet of the Apes
- How Battle for the Planet of the Apes Ended a Franchise