We continue our Book Club series on Vincent Bevins' The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World about some of the most pivotal yet hugely unsung hinge points in the Cold War, centered around the mass slaughter of communists (and those alleged to be) in Indonesia circa 1965-66. We draw more parallels between the Brazilian coup of 1964 and the Indonesian coup of the following year and dive into more gruesome realities and chains of evidence connecting the US government to these events.
- JD's Recommendation: Asparagus
- JNM's Recommendation: Nicaragua, Keith Olbermann & Climate Imperialism W/ Camila Escalante, Ben Norton & Danny Haiphong
Further Reading, Viewing, Listening
- The Murderous History and Deceitful Function of the CIA (discussion with Vince Bevins author of The Jakarta Method) [VIDEO]
- A Chat with Vincent Bevins (Full Interview) – The Jakarta Method [AUDIO]
- The Murderous Legacy of Cold War Anticommunism [Boston Review]